Podcasts are an incredible tool that can get you access to some of the best minds in the world, in your pocket, for free. Whether its looking to increase your knowledge of nutrition and exercise, or topping up your business nouse to keep up with industry trends and best practices, there is something out there for you. This list, whilst non-exhaustive, should give you a diverse spread of voices within the fitness podcast world and expose you to some excellent ideas for improving your coaching and your business.
1. RP Podcast – Renaissance Periodisation are titans in the online fitness world. They are arguably the best evidence based coaching collective out there, with athletes on their roster that include Annie Thorisdottir and Rich Froning, and a stack of PHD’s on their coaching team. Lori and Nick Shaw dive into a variety of topics each episode including interviewing athletes on their successes and busting conventional fitness myths with science backed viewpoints. They are anti-hype, the definition of even keel. A perfect balm if you’re the kind of person to chase all the exciting shiny things, only to be disappointed when they don’t work. Highlight: When Dr Mike Israetel – co-founder of RP guest stars. Those familiar with RP will know Mike’s sense of humour, if you don’t, then you’re missing out.
2. The Traffic and Funnels Show – hosted by the founders of a digital marketing consultancy this podcast is a great resource for any online PT trying to grasp the basic principles of attracting customers and making sales in an online business context. There is often a little bit of fear when taking a personal training business online because it is a different skillset to working on the gym floor. This podcast, whilst not exactly geared for fitness professionals, can still help you grasp the key concepts you need to make any online service business flourish in today’s world and will put you ahead of most other fit pros.
Get a taste for it here: https://open.spotify.com/show/3Jfw5cfOsXq9MhD0mdFiTn?si=NxH3pxSHQtGmQQVxZYx0Jw
3. Fitness Unfiltered – Emma, Mike and Dan have balanced discussions on all things fitness and health. This podcast is great for PT’s as its focus is quite broad and more likely to address the conversations you might have with potential clients. Topical back and forths with several laughs along the way, it is well worth checking out. The conversation is always forward facing, looking to the future of the industry and keeping on top of current fitness trends. Where the podcast really shines is in addressing and unpacking the toxic parts of the fitness industry and understanding the psychological value that a coach can provide for a client.
4. Joe DeFranco’s Industrial Strength show. For more sport specific coaches Joe is a great resource. From running a tiny gym out of a storage unit to coaching some of the most explosive and famous athletes on the planet, Joe has a story as classically inspirational as it is compelling. More concerned with real world examples than getting too data heavy, he is a great insight into how even the best athletes in the world don’t need you to dive into complex terminology when coaching them. His New Jersey meathead shtick can be a turn-off for some, however the way he puts his personality to the forefront of his business is a great lesson in ‘tone of voice’ and how authenticity can help you stand out from other personal trainers.
5. Our podcast…I mean come on. Shameless self-promo here but our podcast which is, as of the time of writing, 100 episodes deep is a wealth of our past experience running and helping other coaches run successful online coaching businesses. We cover all of the principles to employ and all of the mistakes to avoid (we’ve made plenty). This podcast isn’t designed to have you raking in 6 figures in the next 3 weeks, that’s a ludicrous proposition (find out why here). It’s a more grounded look at the strategies and models that we’ve found to be the best from both the perspective of you running your business, and from the clients that use your expertise to achieve their fitness goals.
Listen to our podcast here: https://open.spotify.com/show/5hvdMcB2ba4ua4812pMkuJ?si=1Qkwiz1YQ2WcR8oQYhwp3g